Friday, May 27

Time Magazine's Top 100 Movies

Karen posted a list of Time Magazine's Top 100 Movies that she had seen. I thought I'd give it a go. Some of these movies are such classics that I know I've seen part of them, but I don't remember if I watched the whole movie; I didn't include those.
  1. Casablanca (1942) Excellent!
  2. Charade (1963) I don't think there's an Audrey Hepburn movie I haven't seen, and loved, my mother was a huge fan.
  3. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) I've actually only saw it only once and as a preteen. I was unimpressed.

  4. Dory from "Finding Nemo" is terrific.
    Image via
    Anton Granik.

  5. Finding Nemo (2003) Loved, loved, loved!
  6. The Godfather, Part I (1972) Very Good, but not enough to inspire me to see Part II
  7. It's A Wonderful Life (1946) It's just not Christmas with out it. I enjoy it everytime I see it.
  8. King Kong (1933) Sorry, I just thought it was werid.
  9. The Lord of the Rings (2001-03) It was an impressive undertaking, a real work of love.
  10. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) I don't think there are any musical of that era that I haven't seen, many times. Hard not to like.
  11. Pinocchio (1940) I was raised on this stuff. How could I not like it?
  12. Psycho (1960) I've only seen the whole movie once and it gave me huge association phobias for months.
  13. Pulp Fiction (1994) Strangely enough, I owned the soundtrack before I saw the movie. I them both.
  14. Schindler's List (1993) I refused to see this in the theatre, because I knew it would be too intense for me. I've actually only seen it twice, but it's had a major impact on me.
  15. Singin' in the Rain (1952) See coment for#9
  16. Star Wars (1977) I think Empire Strikes Back was better, but that may be because it was the first movie I saw in a theatre without adult supervision. Plus, I saw it with a boy so I considered it my first date for years.
As I look over the rest of this list I'm amazed. There are so many movie's that I've seen that I think belong on this list (Silence of the Lambs, The Hours, Shawshank Redemption), but when you are trying to span all of moviedom, I guess they had to cut out some pretty good one's, but I think everybody's wondering why they included The Fly.

Some of them I've never heard of, like Kandahar and LĂ©olo and many other's that were not made in the United States. Many of them are such classics that I just don't know how I haven't seen them. I really need to see Citizen Kaneand Dr. Strangelove. They're actually doing a free outdoor showing of A Hard Day's Night this Tuesday down at the UT (That's the University of Texas-Austin) campus. I was actually thinking of going, but I'm scheduled to work that night, bummer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of those, I've seen #6 and maybe #9, I'm not sure. For the list of 100 I've only heard of a couple.

Anvilcloud said...

I don't think Finding Nemo can stay on that list for the duration. I agree that Star Wars belongs, and it's the only one the of series that does belong IMO. I think it was seminal -- it changed things. I would tend to put Raiders of the Lost Ark up there too, for the same reason. It came out at about the same time too if I recall.

Catez said...

I've seen several of the ones you've seen - nearly all those. I've seen A Hard Day's Night too. I liked it - it has all th excitement and innocence of the early Beatles explosion.
I thought King Kong was weird too - and Peter Jackson has re-made it. I will probably go see it just because it was filmed here in NZ.

Lora said...

Pearl- You must be to buzy philosophizing to bother with the movie scene.

Anvilcloud- I hate to admit it but you are probably right about "Finding Nemo" I guess we will find out what lind of staying power it really has.

Catez- I'm very excited to see what Peter's done with "King Kong." I've watched or listen to every bit of commentary and behind the scences footage on all the LOTR DVD's and it has given me enormous respect for him.

oceanskies79 said...

I have watched Finding Nemo in my lifetime, and I love it. I like Dory.

I watched E.T. It was ok. As for the rest on the list, I beg your pardon, I have never watched them, although I have heard of some of them.