Tuesday, March 22

Cutting some zzzzzzzzzz's

There is nothing quite as rejuvenating as a goodnight sleep. It makes me feel like a whole new person. I just turn into a nonfunctioning zombie when I'm short on sleep.

To think I survived for years this way, but no more. I married a man who really values his sleep. Since we got together I have slowly shifted from getting by on 5-6 hours a night to the 7-8 that I normally get these days. I feel like a different person entirely. I'm just nowhere near as moody or reactive. I'm more patient and have a have a better sense of humor. I think clearer and am just much nicer to be around.

I don't know what it was that was so important for all that time that I didn't make time for sleep. Probably nothing much, just a lack of managing my time and getting caught up in the time waster of the moment. I tend to go in phases with things like that, overfocusing on the project of the moment.

I've been staying up too late for the past week or so, not really being productive, but getting caught up doing this or that and before you know it it's 3am. (Mostly logging in to the computer late at night) But the last couple nights I've really made an effort to get to bed at a reasonable hour and the spring is back in my step. I feel back in charge. For some strange reason, I'm always much more productive and proactive when I don't feel like I have lots of pressing things to do.

Of course, true luxury is getting enough sleep where you wake up on your own well rested without an alarm. Yesterday morning I woke up to a rainstorm. For some odd reason it made me feel safe and secure, like mother nature was giving me a little hug.

No comments: