Friday, April 25

Headaches and Mommy Guilt

It's hard to be a good mommy when you have a headache. Actually, it pretty hard to be a good person in general when all you want to do is crawl under a rock.

I woke up with a lovely migraine this morning that took it's sweet ole time going away despite the ice, Excedrin and caffeine I fed it. I can't say it was horribly bad, but boy was it stubborn. It didn't go away until more than an hour after I took an Imitrex, which normally works right away for me.

Needless to say, I wasn't exactly my most patient and loving self this morning. Liam spent the whole morning asking to go out, but then run away when I try to dress him. Usually I am able to turn this into a fun game and we get out the door in a reasonable amount of time. However, this morning I just left the pile of clothes on his bedroom floor and walked away. Being dissatisfied by my lack of playfulness Liam decided to turn my morning routine into a game. Including shredding paper all over my office when I checked my email and the weather, unloading the dirty dishes from the dishwasher as I cleaned up from breakfast and tearing off covers of my bed as I tried to make it. Finally I felt like I was going to blow my lid and took a self-time out. I laid down for about 20 minutes after gating Liam into his room for he had some quiet playtime. Honestly, I think he benefitted from the quiet time as much as I did. It was enough chill time so that we could finally get out the door.

Once we were in the larger world which is obviously much more interesting than home, all went well. I got in a short trip for some card making supplies from Achievers and we met friends for a park playdate. We were a little late to do the hokey pokey and parachute play with our toddler buddies, but we still got to have fun. I love the park. I had not yet discovered this one and it's terrific for toddlers, and not to far from home.

Once home, we ate lunch and Liam's down for his nap and I'm feeling guilty for being such a grumpy this morning. Especially because now I feel perky and full of energy. Oh well, Liam didn't seem to mind too much. I'm so lucky to have such a resilient kid. Now on to make explore my new toys...

1 comment:

Jen said...

Don't beat yourself up! You did the best you could, and that's all anyone can ever do!

I'm a migraine mom too. My kids are older, and they can better roll with the "drill" now, which helps. And, even my youngest really understands the difference between me being a jerk and me being in pain. Liam will understand over time, too.

Hugs!