Sunday, May 29

I am not a morning person

It doesn’t take a very long look at my blog to figure this out. The earliest you’ll see a post up from me is 10 a.m., unless it’s a photograph or something I prepared the night before. A good number of my posts happen after midnight. You can be sure that if you see an entry at 4 a.m. it’s not because I bounded out of bed at that obscene hour, it’s more likely that I’ve stayed up that late.

In college, my dorm voted me most likely to pull an all-nighter. I don’t need a reason to stay up late. This is the way I have always been. I certainly can get up early and life demands that I do on occasion. However, I need a reason to get up early. Whenever I do get up, whether it be early or late, I need a certain amount of time in my own head to adjust to the living world. I’m not really awake. It’s more like I’m sleepwalking. I really don’t want to talk and I certainly don’t want to discuss things or, heaven forbid, argue. I just want you to go away and leave me alone, no matter how wonderful I think you are most of the time. Don’t worry if you leave me alone, I’ll eventually come to you and be my nice warm and lovable self again. But if you don’t leave me alone, I get female-doglike and this doubles the time I need alone. If you persist, I may just blown up in your face. More likely I try to remove you from the house or, as I did today, I wisely remove myself from the house by going out and exercising.

My husband and I have known each other for almost 9 years and he still has not figured this out. Oh, believe me, he has been informed of this many, many, times, sometimes politely and sometimes at the top of my lungs. This is one of those given things about me that must be accepted; it’s not going to change. However, it has been a constant struggle throughout our relationship. He often says, “You don’t mess with the Lora in the morning” But in the morning, when he needs to remember this, he doesn’t.

The result of this is it puts me in an ill mood for the rest of the day. It’s like I’ve had an hour of sleep stolen from me and then was pushed into a swamp and had to wrestle an alligator. Ii just leaves me feeling sleep deprived and jittery all day. How that the house is quiet, I think I may crawl back into bed to get my stolen hour and see if I can put a new start on the day.

7 comments:

Solarusmoon said...

That is me, exactly. I'm kind of looking forward to working nights, once I become a nurse... people think I'm crazy.

Anvilcloud said...

As you probably have already guessed, although I didn't say so explicitly I don't think, me too.

Melodee said...

I know exactly what you mean, only I have early rising children. I hate that!

Lora said...

Oh yes, I'm sure parenthood will throw a few knots in my way of doing things.

Oh course I'm setting myself up for a groggy tomorrow. I have to get up easry and hit the road. Thank God for my travel mug of hot steaming coffee.

Julie said...

I have the same problem as mel--my kids are definitely morning people! I am very much a night person--I hear ya about the posts coming after midnight! Last night was the first time I got to sleep before the sun came up in the last week! Fortunately my dh does most of the early shifts with the kiddies. :)

Janet said...

You are too funny, Lora. My best friend Michele is the exact same way and reading your post sounds like her talking!

Thanks goodness for coffee!!!

Waterfall said...

Amen, j bo! If I didn't have coffee first thing in the morning, I think I'd be in a chronically grumpy mood. :) Seriously, I've quit the caffeine habit a few times before without too many ill(-tempered) effects, but it sure does help in the a.m.