Tuesday, January 23

Minor Catastrophe

Last night, while at work I received a phone call from Lyn. He normally doesn't call me at work. So I was immediately alarmed when I saw it was him on the caller id.

The first words out his mouth were, "There has been a minor catastrophe."

I just about had a heartache on the spot. I was told later by a co-worker that every bit of color immediately drained from my face. I managed to ask if Liam was okay.

Lyn replied that he was, but then quickly went on to s-l-o-w-l-y explain the "catastrophe" to me as I hung on his every word. I don't think he quite understands that the images my mind can conjure up when he uses the word catastrophe.

In the end, it seems that he had managed to lock himself out of the house. No big deal right? After I did this last summer we managed stash an emergency key and it has saved my sorry self more then once since. However, Lyn forgot about the key and, oh, did I mention, Liam was locked inside the house, alone.

Lyn went into complete panic mode. My heart really goes out to him. He had just run out to the curb and it was cold out and for some reason he was barefoot. He forgot about the spare key. He didn't have his cell phone. He has never managed to memorize my cell number or work number. Liam was inside and while he doesn't move quickly he is mobile, plus he was starting to wonder where Daddy was and was vocalizing his displeasure. The sound of Liam crying returns both of us into the primal stage of evolution, void of cogitative thinking.

Unfortunately, not seeing any other option he ended up breaking a window to get back in. However, Liam was fine and immediately calmed down once Lyn emerged through the window. I managed to get somebody out to repair it today at a pretty reasonable price. In the end it was all good, except for the little glass shards we now have in the backyard.

I think Lyn will be a little more careful about checking the door before he walks out and, after the earful I gave him, perhaps a little less dramatic in his choice of words.

1 comment:

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Lora, I have a feeling that story will be one that gets told over and over again to Liam as he grows up ;~)

It's so nice to see you back at your weblog again!